Your chimney damper is one of the most critical components of your fireplace system, and it’s important to choose the right one for your needs. When you’re changing out a system or replacing a stuck or damaged throat damper, top-sealing dampers are the best replacement option.
What Is a Top-Sealing Damper?
A top-sealing fireplace damper is just what it sounds like — a chimney damper that seals at the top of your chimney rather than at the bottom (or throat). It has a rubber seal that creates a watertight and airtight fit, making it more effective at keeping out the elements than a traditional throat damper.
Throat dampers are also more susceptible to rust and corrosion since they are usually cast iron and constantly exposed to moisture and condensation.
Benefits of Top-Sealing Dampers
There are several benefits of top-sealing dampers that make them the superior choice for masonry fireplace systems:
- Energy Efficient: Heating and cooling bills are one of the biggest expenses for homeowners. A throat damper may not seem like it would make a big difference, but the air leaks add up over time. Compared to traditional throat dampers, top-sealing chimney dampers are much more energy efficient. They create a tight seal at the top of the chimney that prevents heat from escaping up the chimney when the fireplace is not in use. This can save money on your energy bills and make your home more comfortable year round.
- Easy to Maintain: Throat dampers are notorious for allowing air leaks, and they can add a lot of stress to your life when it comes to ensuring they’re sealed up nice and tight. Top-sealing dampers, on the other hand, are much easier to maintain. They fit snugly at the top of the chimney and require no special attention. When the fireplace is not in use, you simply close it and the airtight and watertight seal helps protect the inside of your chimney.
- Improve Air Quality: Top-sealing dampers are more effective at keeping out drafts and other contaminants. Which means that choosing to replace your old throat damper with a top-sealing damper can improve your home’s indoor air quality. Plus, as mentioned before, your home will stay at the temperature you want, instead of warming or cooling with the outside air. Long story short? A top-sealing damper keeps the air in your home cleaner, more comfortable, and better contained.
- More Durable: Because top-sealing dampers are less prone to rust and corrosion, this makes them an excellent choice for homeowners in areas with high humidity levels. Top-sealing dampers are also more durable than throat dampers, and they offer a longer lifespan.
- Better for your Fireplace: Top-sealing dampers provide a better seal than throat dampers, which can help to keep your fireplace safer and reduce the likelihood of experiencing damages.
Maintenance Tips for Optimal Performance
Once your chimney professional has installed your top-sealing damper, you can do a few things to keep it in optimal working condition.
First, it’s crucial to schedule yearly chimney inspections with a certified chimney sweep. This overview will include assessing the damper for any damage or wear. If any cracks or holes in the rubber seal are noted, your tech can make note of it, then replace the seal, so you don’t have to stress. They can also see what might have caused the damage in the first place, and offer some effective solutions.
In addition, inspections will reveal if you need a sweeping. Regular chimney sweepings keep your system running better and, they ensure any build-up of soot or debris is removed that might be causing the damper to stick.
In the end, your top-sealing damper can provide years of trouble-free service with proper care and maintenance. By choosing a top-sealing damper for your fireplace and ensuring it’s being taken care of, you’ll enjoy improved performance, durability, and savings – well worth it.
Installation and Replacement Costs
The cost of installation or replacement of your top-sealing damper will vary depending on the size and type you choose. They come in various sizes to fit a wide range of chimneys, and materials can vary, as well, so talking with your sweep and figuring out which is best for your home is a must.
You will also need to factor in the cost of installation, which will vary depending on the complexity of your chimney. Questions? Our techs are here to help. Please reach out, and we can get your system where it needs to be to operate safer and more efficiently with every season.
Reach Out Today
Top-sealing dampers are an essential component of any fireplace, providing many benefits for both homeowners and businesses alike.
If you are in the market for a top-sealing damper in Albany or any of its surrounding cities, get in touch with us at Northeastern Masonry & Chimney for the quality care you deserve. Fill out our contact form or call 518-500-4048 to get started!